Friday, February 22, 2013

The Great Migration!

Having traveled to Africa over 30 times I thought I had seen just about everything. And I have..... almost.
I spent two nights at an awesome tented camp in the Serengeti (Tanzania) and saw the great migration for the first time in my life. The migration is an estimated 1.6 million wildebeests & 800,000 zebras moving across the Serengeti and into Kenya, heading to areas that have ample grazing areas for more than 2 million animals.

One day we spent over six hours driving through the plains and I saw more than a half million animals! Words cannot describe how amazing that is.
With these animals also come the predators; following the massive herds for easy food. We had 4 separate lion sightings, 10 lions in all. We also saw 2 cheetahs that had killed one of he wildebeest - we missed them eating by minutes. But when we arrived the vultures had already come to finish off the meat left by the cheetahs - I will upload some video as soon as I'm back in NY.

We also saw wildebeests giving birth which was pretty cool. The babies spend the first five minutes of their life trying to get to their feet, the next five are spent mastering balance and walking, and by the ten minute mark these newborns are running alongside their mothers! This is a necessity because these babies are easy targets for the lions and other predators, including hyena, leopard and cheetah.
This was definitely a day that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment