Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Zimbabwe

After South Africa I traveled to Zimbabwe, where I spent three nights. The first two nights were at an amazing safari lodge called The Hide in Hwange National Park. We saw at least 1000 (yes, that's one THOUSAND) elephants during our time at the Hide! We also got to see plenty of giraffes, zebras, monkeys, antelopes, etc. but the elephants were definitely the highlight. As soon as I'm home I'll post some videos that I took.
Following The Hide we had a three hour drive to Victoria Falls. This was my fourth visit to 'the falls' but it's the first time that I've been there between Sept - Nov (dry season); the difference in the water level and the amount of water flowing over the falls is unbelievable. It's still gorgeous this time of year but completely different.
While in Vic Falls we had dinner at an iconic restaurant called The Boma. It's an incredibly fun experience - they put you in traditional African dress, paint your face, have traditional Zulu drummers & dancers, etc. They also give you a drum and have you follow the beat and then come up to the stage and dance and there's a witch doctor that throws bones and tells you your future - all good fun. The highlight however is the food. They have some 'unique' options on the buffet including: eland, ostrich, kudu, warthog, impala, crocodile, and the most outrageous - mopane worms (pronounced muh-pah-nee). Warthog was by far my favorite and I did try the worm (I even have a certificate to prove it), don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon...

1 comment: