Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Camel Jockeys & Belly Dancers

I wrote this about 36 hours ago, but just got the opportunity and time to access the Internet (btw, how the fuck do the Giants lose at home to Seattle???):

I'm at the Dubai airport waiting for my flight to Johannesburg following a quick visit to Dubai. It's 3:15am local time and I've gotten minimal sleep the last three days (approx 9 hours).
Dubai was really cool! We went to the observation deck of the world's tallest building - The Burj Khalifa - and then did a city tour seeing the incredible contrasts of new and old.
After a quick lunch and a meeting we embarked on our 'desert safari' - what this entails is the following:
A psychotic Indian man picks you up at your hotel in a 4x4 vehicle, drives you 45 minutes outside the city into the desert, and then proceeds to drive up, over, and through huge sand dunes. They call this dune bashing. After this you watch a falconer do his thing ('I should've gotten a falcon'); go on a camel ride; visit a mock Bedouin village and enjoy dinner; then finally you're entertained by a belly dancer.
It was a busy and quick trip to Dubai and now I look forward to getting back to the Motherland and on safari.

1 comment:

  1. The Giants game was CRAP they played like S**T and I even though it was a beautiful day out I was pissed that I had gone to such a terrible game!Losing to the Seachickens at home UGH!! Miss you <3 Kara*

    ReplyDelete