Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Day with the Bushmen - Videos

I'm sorry that I haven't posted anything for a couple of weeks, but I've been incredibly busy since returning home from my last Africa trip. Here are some videos from the day that I spent in the Kalahari Desert with the San (bushman) family. This was one of the coolest experiences that I've ever had!

Here we are just starting on our walk:


This is when we stopped for lunch. You can see the beetles before they got roasted, and there is the shell of a leopard tortoise in the background - that is used as a serving dish for the nuts that were prepared for us.


Following lunch the bushmen wanted to wash down the food with a cold beverage. Here you'll see the patriarch of the family dig up an ostrich egg that was filled with water and buried weeks ago (how they remember where it's buried is incredible). The water is underground so it actually stays cold. They have these 'ostrich egg canteens' buried throughout the desert.



Game Time!!! Here's a video of them playing their javelin-style game. One of the guys was incredible at this, but I didn't get any of his great throws on video. I managed a couple of good tosses, but it was quite difficult.


The last game we played will look familiar - jumprope. However, their jumprope is made out of the hide of an eiland - trust me it can hurt! I made it through their whipping antelope skin on my first attempt, but got caught up on my second. Enjoy watching me make a fool of myself!



Finally, as the sun started to set they built another fire and shared their cultural songs and dances with us. A great ending to an unforgettable day...




1 comment: